Tips on travelling to Hoi An Town at Tet Holiday
As Tet holiday is the most important time of a year to Vietnamese, just like Christmas and New Year combined to Westerners, there are some notes for travellers who want to travel to Hoi An during this holiday to avoid bad experience. Those tips about hotels in Hoi An, where to stay, what to do with help you out.
1. Apply for a visa as soon as possible
Like other governmental bodies, the Visa issuing authority, including Vietnamese embassies, consulates and Immigration office, would be closed from January 21st and will only get back to work on January 30th. Therefore, you should work out your travel plan carefully and apply for the visa as soon as possible to avoid the unnecessary delay of flights. At the airport, the immigration officers on call remain open to give you visa stamp for visa on arrival.
Choose resorts, hotels in Hoi An that have airport pick-up service so that you needn’t worry about transportation to Hoi An.
2. Book in advance
As many foreigners share the same interest in experiencing a traditional Tet in Vietnam, it would be not easy to get rooms in Hoi An’s hotels, especially high-quality ones, if you didn’t book in advance. The 9 day holiday means that the locals also have ample of time to head Center and South for holiday too and Hoi an is always a quality choice. Transport is another matter to be concerned. Reserve your airplane tickets and train tickets as soon as you can and expect holiday surcharge.
With 45% discount if you book 15 days in advance, Belle Maison Hadana Hoi An Resort and Spa offers the best room rates in Hoi An.
3. Shops closed/ Shops open
Though recently, there have been more and more shops opened on Tet holiday, tourists still have to be aware of the fact that a number of shops would not do so. Especially for those who want to have new clothes made at Hoi An’s famous tailors, Tet is actually not the best time. The exception is A Dong Silk at 40 Le Loi Street, Hoi An. Tel (84) 0510 3863 170. This tailor will be closed for just 1 day before Tet and the first day of Tet only (January 22nd and 23rd).
If you plan to stay in Hoi An after January 26th, there would be more options, including:
- Yaly Couture at 358 Nguyen Duy Hieu St., Hoi An, which has 4 showrooms as below Showroom 1: 47 Nguyen Thai Hoc Street; Showroom 2: 47 Tran Phu Street; Showroom 3: 358 Nguyen Duy Hieu Street; Showroom 4: 580 Cua Dai Street
- Kim My Tailor at 70 Tran Hung Dao St., Hoi An.
- To To Boutique at 32-34 Ba Trieu St., Hoi An.
- Thu Thuy Tailor at 60 Le Loi St., Hoi An
4. Restaurants closed/ Restaurants open
The good news is that most restaurants don’t close the whole Tet and usually just for a couple of days. Here are some suggestions:
Rice Restaurant (offer 10% discount, valid from Jan 10, 2017 to Feb 9, 2017)
Belle Maison Hadana Hoi An Resort and Spa. Add: 538 Cua Dai Street, Hoi An City. Tel: (+84) 510 3757 666
- Le Banyan bar. Add: An Bang beach, Hoi An 51000, Vietnam – Tel: 0935100337
- The Cargo Club. Add: 107 D Nguyen Thai Hoc, Hoi An, Vietnam – Tel: 0510 3910 489
- Dao Tien. Add: 21 Phan Boi Chau, Hoi An, Vietnam
- Good Morning Vietnam. Add: 102 Nguyen Thai Hoc Street, Hoi An, Vietnam – Tel: 0510 3910 227
- Lantern Town Restaurant. Add: 49 Nguyen Thai Hoc Str, Hoi An, Vietnam – Tel: + 84 1239912212
- Laugh Cafe Restaurant. Add: 126 Tran Cao Van St, Hoi An, Vietnam – Tel: 0905192532
- Voulez-Vous. Add: 631 Hai Ba Trung, Hoi An, Vietnam – Tel: 0510 3927 339
5. High prices
Don’t expect food, clothes, etc. to be as cheap and reasonable as stated in your travel guide. On Tet holiday in Hoi An Ancient Town, everything, with bill or not, will involve a holiday surcharge, from a bowl of Cao Lau to a suit made to order. To relieve you from unnecessary stress, you just need to choose Rice restaurant to enjoy 10% off the bill.
6. Be careful when buying or bargaining
When you want to buy something in Hoi An shops during Tet holiday, be careful, especially with bargaining. Sellers have strong belief that if their new year starts strong with the generating of many sales this will determine a prosperous outcome for the year. Hence it can be very disappointing and annoying to a merchant if you inquire about an item to later not buy it or you bargain so much. This is a sign of loss prosperity through-out the year, to their opinions. In order not to get their anger, try to buy at least one thing in their shops, even the smallest and cheapest one, in case you have entered their shops and asked for goods. The advice is to look at the item carefully from outside before getting inside. Looking does no harm.
Credit to Vietnamonline.com